TRAVEL DEEP UNDERGROUND AND BACK INTO THE PAST ON OUR SPECTACULAR NEW DEEP MINE TOUR
It’s a completely unique experience – there really is nothing like this anywhere else in the world
Meet our friendly, expert local guides – many of them have family links to the slate industry going back generation after generation at Llechwedd. They have incredible family stories of their own and will accompany you on a journey back through time to the mid-nineteenth century.
As you travel into the belly of Llechwedd’s mountain – on the steepest cable railway in Britain – you’ll experience some of the iconic sounds which have defined the last century and a half. The clock will turn back 160 years as you travel 500 feet underground. Once you arrive in the tunnels of the old mine we will use a combination of leading-edge technology and traditional storytelling to bring the miners’ stories to life.
Extraordinary light projection, enhanced reality technology and explosive special effects will transport you to another time and place.
You’ll meet the mine’s owner and founder John Whitehead Greaves, and some of the men and boys who spent up to 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, working underground in semi-darkness. You will even meet the quarry ‘danger man’ in person and witness the extraordinary Victorian safety checks that were conducted more than 100 feet above the mine’s floor.
We think the best stories are the ones you can take part in, so there will be the opportunity to try out some of the miners’ equipment and techniques for yourself. We think it’s a story that will captivate and thrill you. And we can’t wait to show you around.
- The Deep Mine Tour is available in English and Welsh
- The Deep Mine Tour runs every 30 minutes throughout the day and takes around 1 hour from start to finish
- After descending into the Deep Mine the tour is approximately half a mile long. This includes walking and descending 61 well-lit, grippy steps
- Please arrive 30 minutes before the time of your tour to be kited up!
- For Group Booking – Call us on 01766 830306 ext 001 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get a group discount.
If you’re staying near Porthmadog you can get here on the fabulous Ffestiniog Steam Railway – with just a short connecting bus ride.
Click the ‘Book Now’ button to book your place on our new Deep Mine Tour. Don’t forget you get a great deal if you book for the Quarry Explorer as well!